No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've finished Date Night on Union Station by E M Foner. I wanted something funny and lighthearted and Storygraph's algorithm served me this. It's about Earth's ambassador on Union Station (Kelly) who's in her mid thirties and still single, so her friend gets her five dates from an AI controlled dating service that's supposed to find the perfect dates for her.
    It was a bit boring throughout the first half. The humour didn't click, the dialogues between Kelly and her friend Donna seemed clichéd to me and everything seemed forced. But I stuck with it and it got better in the second half, when everything came together.
    I moderately liked it. It was a short and fast read. There are other books in the series and I might read the next one some day to find out what happened to Kelly afterwards, but for now, I'm going to read something else.

Comment

"Vergiss Mein Nicht", a random pick from the bookstore bonanza on Saturday, and in German! This must be the second book in German I read without having read an English or Italian translation before. The cover is so nice I just had to buy it
      So far it's really good and funny. I still don't know where it's going which is good!

Comment

I picked up The Last Stormlord by Glenda Larke at the library. It's in the fantasy genre. The author does a great job of world-building. It's set in a desert world where rainfall is regulated and distributed by the stormlords. There is only one stormlord remaining as the others have perished in suspicious circumstances. The current stormlord is slowly dying and unable to keep up with the water demands of the nation. Certain ethnic groups are having their water rations decreased and this results in rebellion and subterfuge. It's a complex and interesting plot, and the characters are well thought out.

Comment

I started reading the Dresden Files books by Jim Butcher.
          Storm Front (#1 of the series) was one of the cringiest books I've ever read but I guess it entertained me on a so-bad-it's-good level.
          Currently reading #2 Fool Moon. I only have a couple of chapters to go. It's a little bit better but also a lot les focused. Still not a fan. I've ordered the first 3 books of the series and I'll move on to the 3rd once I'm done with this but I don't think I'll be continuing with this series.

Comment

Quantum of Nightmares by Charles Stross. The 2nd part of the New Management series and a spin-off of the excellent Laundry Files (Magic meets James Bond) series. More of the same as in Dead lies Dreaming, with a Mary Poppins vs. Sweeney Todd touch and a very Strossian view of post modern British working conditions and bureaucracy. Not bad, but I wonder how far this will stretch in the future and if it will come up one joke too thin.

motionaction If you are not happy with Jim Butcher, give the forementioned Laundry Files a try . The Atrocity Archives and the rest follow a similar concept, but are (imho) way more funnier than the Dresden Files.

Comment

finished:

Paladin´s Strength (The Saint of Steel #2)

Comment

Just finished "bury your dead", an armand gamache mystery by Louise Penny ; I liked the psychological portraits very much, and the description of the "english" enclave in Quebec city is fascinating.I hadn't read the previous books, and as a result it may have taken me longer to "get in" the story (there are three plots, one of them continuation of the previous book), so I intend to start back at the beginning and would advise doing the same.

Comment

TheLibrarian Did you read the Clocktaur War before it? I did (and liked it), but I was not sure if The SoSt. is just more of the same, so I left it.

Comment

Shirley Jackson - The Haunting of Hill House
                    James Tynion IV - House of Slaughter, Vol.1

Comment

Originally posted by Andi64 View Post
                      TheLibrarian Did you read the Clocktaur War before it? I did (and liked it), but I was not sure if The SoSt. is just more of the same, so I left it.

HI, yes I read the clocktaur war, before. They all play in the same "world". The reading order is: Clockwork Boys, The Wonder Engine, Swordheart, Paladin’s Grace, Paladin’s Strength, Paladin´s Hope

I really like the series so far.

Comment

TheLibrarian Thank you! I have to finish up some loose ends, then I will give it a go. I did not know that the Clocktaur War and the SoSt. cycles belong to one bigger cycle. Apart from the 'Clocktaur War' I read 'A Wizard's Guide to Defensive Baking' and '9 Goblins' by her and both were funny and entertaining.

Comment

Andi64 I haven´t read 9 goblins and a wizard´s guide to defensive baking. They are still on my to read pile. Looking forward reading them. You know what: I am really happy that a fellow bee once mentioned the author in this thread, otherwise I am not sure that I would have stumbled upon the series, or the author in general. Happy reading.

Comment

Andi64 - thank you for the recommendation, sounds just like the pulpy fun I'd be into. I'll check it out!

Comment

Recently finished NOVA EXPRESS (Burroughs) - This was pretty good, but not nearly as good as THE SOFT MACHINE. Has a lot of the same striking, provocative features, but not the same momentum. Hoping to finish this strange trilogy soon.

Comment

Finished Nine Perfect Strangers today, it was really good!

Comment

Working...
                                X