No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few more recent ones, I have moved on from exclusively reading about WW2, though it is still in there:

Histories of the Unexpected - WW2 - About strange subjects tied together in weird ways in the Second World War. For instance, there was a chapter on carrots
    Seven Kinds of People That You Meet in Bookshops - One bookshop owner's opinion on his clientele, was interesting but could have been better
    Had It Coming - How sexual harassment has been changed by #MeToo
    Radar Girls - A story about female radar operators in Hawaii in WW2, I really didn't like it that much
    Into Thin Air - Account of the disastrous 1996 climbing season on Everest, was better than most fictional thrillers that I have read

Comment

CaptainCanuck I agree! Jon Krakauer's book is absolutly fantastic in it it's own terrifying way. He wrote a lot of good stuff about climbing, mostly for magazines, but this one is his masterpiece IMHO.

Comment

Resuming The Light Fantastic, and also re-reading Marcel Brion's Mozart biography one chapter at a time before bed.

Comment

Arkady Martine - A Memory Called Empire (Teixcalaan #1)

Comment

Recently finished A DOWRY OF BLOOD (Gibson) - I love the title of this book, and the premise. Not so much the execution. It's fairly well written for what it is, but there's something about the book that just feels amateurish, or like fan fiction. I'm not sure how better to describe it, and I don't even mean that as a pejorative. I think it's because the syntax and rhythm are basically the same for every sentence of the book, and so even if a sentence is good on its own, the writing quickly becomes monotonous... All said, it's an interesting take on a Dracula story. A quick read, I was hoping for better.

Comment

I finished The Shadow King by Maaza Mengiste. It's fiction but it's based on Ethiopia's history of the italian colonization attempts and the ethiopian women soldiers in this. I'd consider it great literature, sometimes hard to follow due to its richness of topics and how they are intertwined. It was a great read and i dearly hope this wonderful country finds peace again (related to current events).

Comment

Did not enjoy the bitter part of The Light Fantastic's ending.

I really had hoped that Twoflower and Rincewind didn't parted away, but I love that Luggage is now with Rincewind!

Luggage is my favorite character, so far. Up next: Sourcery.

Comment

I listened to Ai Weiwei's memoir 1000 Years of Joys and Sorrows and i'd highly recommend it. It gives a lot of insight to his art and what drives him and it's a crash course on chinese history.

Comment

I'm reading the short horror Nothing but Blackened Teeth by Cassandra Kaw. It's more human tension than horror and has some vivid imagery.

Comment

The Temporal Void (Void #2) by Peter F. Hamilton. Back to space-ships, miss the trains.

Comment

Really enjoyed "What you can see from here", recommend!

Comment

Re-read OF MICE AND MEN (Steinbeck) - it's great! One of the Great American Books that lives up to its reputation, highly recommend.

Comment

Just finished John Boyne's "The absolutist", about conscientious objection in the Great War.
                            My first John Boyne, definitely not the last. Gripping and touching, historicallly accurate, great, great style.

Comment

Recently finished THE IDIOT (Dostoevsky) - There are some really interesting things to think about and some intriguing techniques, and the tone is refreshingly light for Dostoevsky, but I think overall it doesn't hang together very well. Hard to recommend to a modern audience, unless you're curious about Russian classics.

Comment

Recently finished HEART OF DARKNESS (Conrad) - Really liked this. Another one of those that could be read in a few hours, but I'd actually recommend you take your time and savor it. This is a Great Book about Big Ideas and Themes with exquisite prose. Highly recommend.

Comment

Working...
                                X