What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm reading a really excellent one, "Arriving Today". It looks at how the things we buy arrive to us, a deep dive into the world of logistics. It's super interesting! I had no idea of how ports operate, the economies of truck deliveries, any of it. Really cool.

Comment

Just finished SALEM'S LOT (King) - Overall, pretty good, not great. Too long for its own good. And while there are some fun twists and turns along the way, it's ultimately a fairly standard good v evil story.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainCanuck View Post
        I thought that I updated my September progress here, but I guess I didn't, so this goes back about two months by now, still staying on the WW2 theme:
        2 recommendations for your WW2 theme:

Playing For Time by Fania Fénelon. An Auschwitz-survivor and member of the infamous Mädchenorchester.

Stalingrad by Theodore Plievier. He was an emigrated, German, analyst for the Red Army and made psychological reports on letters that the Soviets got from fallen German soldiers.That gave him the idea for the book. In 1943 (!) he got permission to interview German POWs in Soviet camps on the topic. This is the basis for the horrific authenticity this book has. It was first published in 1948 and is part of a trilogy : Moscow and Berlin are the other parts, but I have not read those (yet).

Comment

Andi64 Excellent, I will try to track those down

Comment

Finished Mariana Enriquez's short story collection THE DANGERS OF SMOKING IN BED - Pretty good, well written. I think if you spaced it out and read one story once in a blue moon, it would be really good; read collectively within a few days, the effect is kind of depressing, haha. Every story deals with death and dying in some way, and often with supernatural elements. If you are uncomfortable with death, descriptions of the process of dying, or anything to do with what happens after someone dies, then stay as far away from this book as possible.

Comment

Yesterday I read another good one: The Thursday Murder Club. Funny sand insightful at the same time!

Comment

Andy Weir - The Martian

Comment

Back on the Peter F Hamilton track: The Dreaming Void

Comment

I just joined a book club in my area but haven't attended an event yet.

I've started reading more, first I listened to an audio book called kissing lessons, I can't remember the author then I read a book called without saying a word, a book on body language.

I also started the audio book how to win friends and influence people but I want the physical copy. I am also starting a book called how to sell anything to anyone.

I still haven't finished the SAS Survival handbook but it's not a "book" more of a investment.

Speaking of investment, I am looking to read a few books on that subject as well.

Comment

finished:

Project Hail Mary

Amazing read.

Comment

I love Andi Weir, thanks for the recommendation TheLibrarian , I didn't know there was another one!

Comment

Just finished HUMMINGBIRD SALAMANDER (VanderMeer) - A pretty interesting take on the thriller genre. It has a lot of the same trappings and pitfalls, but the quality of the writing is much better, and it's a pretty impressive mix of tones that turns kind of beautiful and apocalyptic by the end.

Comment

Baston Is it similar (weird) to his Southern Reach stuff? That was a bit hard to digest.

Comment

Andi64 - Honestly, not sure. I saw the Annihilation movie, but this is the only book of his I've read so far. Sorry!

Comment

Working...
                              X