What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I finished "Achtsam morden" from Karsten Dusse. It's a bestseller in germany and the title translates to something like "mindful killing" or "mindful murdering" (if that is a word).

It's hilarious, based on a great idea and an easy read. One can actually learn a bit about mindfulness although the ideas are used to justify a kind of mafia lifestyle including several murders. There are two or three more books with titles based on other famous mindfulness/self-help books from the same author. I'm not sure if i'm going to read another one as i can't imagine that the idea holds too well over a whole series. But for once it was a fun read.

Comment

I finished my second book today, Bernard Cornwell - Sharpe's Tiger.
      It was recommended to me by someone who said it had good action and was easy to read. It's set in India in 1799, when the British were fighting there. I liked the main character well enough and guess I will read the next book in the series, too, but at a later time.

Comment

Finished Misery (King) - Not a Great Book, but a very entertaining one. Works best if you haven't seen the movie adaptation, but still a fun ride even if you have.

Comment

I just finished Atomic Habits by James Clear. A really good book about using neuroscience to develop the habits you want. And I met my goal of reading 150 books in 2021!

Comment

galeogirl Congrats

Comment

Originally posted by galeogirl View Post
              I just finished Atomic Habits by James Clear. A really good book about using neuroscience to develop the habits you want. And I met my goal of reading 150 books in 2021!
              This is a nice coincidence, I was looking for something to help me and when I had enough of roaming around the web for it, I came here and saw this

Comment

Finished Philip Margolin - Gone, but not forgotten.
                Liked it, very exciting. Gives food for thought as well - we seem to live in a world of quick and always quicker (moral) judgements - however one might sometimes forget that judgements and decisions that seem justified without question erode deeper principles that enable us to live together peacefully (most of the time). Margolin shows that there might be situations where every decision is flawed - but one has to make a decision.

Comment

I'm currently multi tasking between my friends genshin impact fanfic and audio books.

My audio book is the greatness guide, I can't remember the author but I'm 57% through it. It's a good listen and I currently have how to win friends and influence people and atomic habits on notification.

So audio books aren't as good as real books in my opinion.

I don't remember much of the greatness guide but I might see about buying a hard copy in the future as it is really thought provoking to what greatness is (at least in my opinion)

Comment

Andi64 Thank you for recommending The Crusades Through Arab Eyes. This will be my ext library book after I finish Columbus. I’m looking forward to the different perspective.

Comment

A Psalm for the Wild-Built (Monk & Robot #1) Feel-good, solarpunk (yes, that's a genre now) novella. A bit like her Wayfarers stuff. Very entertaining and as mentioned very 'feelgood'. Recommended.

Edit: Oops, I mixed up Becky Chambers (author of this one) and Martha Wells ('Murderbot'), Sorry to both of them.

Comment

I've finished Philip K. Dick - The Man in the High Castle. Alternate history where the Nazis and Japan won the war. I tried to read it in the context of the time it was written, but even then, I didn't enjoy it. The resolution (?) at the end didn't have much foreshadowing, and I didn't like the characters. Won't stop me from reading other books by Dick, I have a few more on the list.

Comment

I thought exactly the same lofivelcro and he could have done so much with the idea! I was disappointed.

Comment

Elric of Melniboné

I mentioned in an earlier post being a fan of the band Hawkwind since 1970 and became familiar with Micheal Moorcock's Elric of Meinbone books because he was a band member.

A review of Stormbringer . . .

Comment

The Crusades Through Arab Eyes by Amin Maalouf. Most books about the crusades are from the Christian view. This book is from the Muslim view. Just started, very interesting.

Comment

I thought that I updated my September progress here, but I guess I didn't, so this goes back about two months by now, still staying on the WW2 theme:

Band Of Brothers - Basis for the television series, follows a group of American paratroopers from training to D-Day to war's end
                                The Hiding Place - True life story of Corrie Ten Boom, an unlikely heroine who survived a concentration camp
                                Denial - Deborah Lipstadt vs David Irving over Holocaust denial
                                The Nine - True life story of 9 French women who escape from a camp and walk over country to freedom
                                The Gallery of Miracles and Madness - Deals with the treatment of art in Germany in the 1920s and 1930s
                                The Night In Lisbon - From Erich Maria Remarque, and dealing with refugees during the war
                                The Girl in the Blue Coat - A mystery set in Amsterdam during the war.

Comment

Working...
                                X