X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

finished: Perry Rhodan #136: Bestien der Unterwelt

Comment

Originally posted by Anek View Post
      Just finished a really good book, "The many lives of Heloise Starchild". It's by the same author as "Not forgetting the whale" which I really enjoyed too. Recommend both!
      I've heard a lot about this book and it's only been praise. About time I check it out. (:

Comment

Finished Kim (Kipling) - Loved the conclusion, the rest of the book didn't do much for me. Frankly, a little dull.

Comment

finished: Perry Rhodan #137: Sturm auf die Galaxis

Comment

I've finished Philip K. Dick - Galactic Pot-Healer, the first book I've read cover to back in over twenty years. Or maybe it's the first book I ever finished, idk. Read it in three days and don't really know what to say about it. Very fascinating, very strange. I haven't really understood it, but will probably think about it for some time. It's a quick read at ~160 pages.

Comment

Finished Arnold Schwarzenegger's autobiography "Total Recall' - very inspiring, one can learn a lot.
              Finished Heinrich Spoerl's Die Feuerzangenbowle (The Punch Bowl) - very funny.
              Finished Edgar Wallace's "The India-Rubber Men" - so far I cannot comprehend fully why Edgar Wallace had been such a tremendous success in Germany... Maybe I should give another of his novels a try...

Comment

Originally posted by Botenlauben View Post
                Finished Edgar Wallace's "The India-Rubber Men" - so far I cannot comprehend fully why Edgar Wallace had been such a tremendous success in Germany...
                Maybe because of the 38 Edgar Wallace adaptations, filmed between 1959 and 1972. With Joachim Fuchsberger as detective, also with Siegfried Lowitz (Der Fälscher von London). Remember 'Der Alte'? Sometimes Eddie Arent and Klaus Kinski and even Christopher Lee (Das Geheimnis der gelben Narzissen) in the cast. They were very popular then.
                King Kong seems ok, but I have not read the book.

lofivelcro If you want to go further down the Phillip K. Dick rabbit-hole, have a look at A Scanner Darkly. It's one of his best work. Just 200 pages and kind of a window or maybe a porthole into his mind.

Comment

Andi64 thanks for the rec, I'll put it on the list for later. I've found "The Divine Invasion" in a book shelf, so will make that my next read of Dick if I keep at it. I was also thinking about trying to get UBIK at one point without knowing anything about it. I think I've watched snippets of the movie of A Scanner Darkly years ago.

Comment

finished:
                    Perry Rhodan #138: Risiko unendlich groß
                    Perry Rhodan #139: Die Laurins kommen!

Comment

finished:
                      Perry Rhodan #140: Ein Toter soll nicht sterben

Comment

Finished Invisible Man (Ellison) - Frankly, this book is amazing. Loved it. The only real criticism is that it gets a little preachy, but given the book is nearly 70 years old and the US is *still* talking about race, class, systemic racism, etc etc - it gets a pass from me for being so prescient.

Comment

"Tribes" - Seth Godin
                          "Ranger Handbook" - [Redacted]

Comment

Elric of Melniboné, the Original Witcher (Elric vs. Geralt)

I've been been a fan of the band Hawkwind since 1970 and became familiar with Micheal Moorcock's Elric of Meinbone books because he was a band member, I became also interested in the Witcher and thought there was a certain similarity.

Comment

I read "Earthlings"
                              https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/50269327-earthlings
                              between yesterday and today. It was both good and bad? Excellent writing, disturbing content (especial the sexual assault), interesting thoughts, insane ending? I would not re-read it, but I'm sure it'll stay a while with me.

Comment

What Abigail did That Summer. Nice little novel. Ben Aaronovitch's effort to keep his fans happy till the next Rivers of London (#9)

Comment

Working...
                                X